Tuesday, February 14, 2012

JELLYBOY

TITLE:


THE BOY (title shot will later be changed to JELLYBOY)


ORIGINAL IDEA:
My original idea was to do a pretty straight-forward 3 part narrative, that included water and actual jellyfish as well as a main character.


SELF CRIT:
I really wish I could reshoot some things. Overall, however, I like the feel and feel like it's not as bad as I would expect. My biggest problem is overlooking the format with which the video was shot at- At some point during the first shoot it was changed to 640:480 or some other crap- and I'm really disappointed I can't get that big rectangular image, but it's alright, I'm sure it being in 4:3 SD doesn't make un-viewable. In general, I feel like continuing with this piece would be very promising- I did do some extra shots but if I knew what I did now it could be 20 times better!


SOURCE OF IDEA/IMPORTANCE:
The source of the idea was sort of this joke/concept I had last semester about a "Jellyfish apocalypse" which stemmed from my interest in post-apocalyptic worlds and theories. I'm a big fan of zombie movies and have read "The Road" as well as seen the film as well as numerous films like it (Book of Eli, Waterworld, etc.) It interests me because I am very concerned with my own future- and I would be devastated if it were cut short or altered so dramatically. I'm positive about my future career goals and life. However! It would be interesting to live in such a world, where there is no more compliance to society or it's ways. As well as there being such a small amount of people in the world.


KEY EMOTION OR EXPERIENCE:
Desperation-Fear-Empowerment


THEME OR PREMISE OF THE PIECE:
The theme of the peice is about desperation as well as predation. The hunter vs. hunted, etc.,


PROBLEM AREAS:
The stages could of been better as well as the lighting in a lot of places. I wish I could go back and do it all again but with more time, however I think what I've done has come out pretty better than expected.  I don't know if the focusing will be a big issue that will come up during critique but if it does, I think this project is worth reshooting (As long as I can get the jelly off all the sets and/or make new floors, etc.) Geezus, I hope it doesn't start growing mold in my locker. Anyway, I think another critical issue was the moment when he eats the jelly- It didn't come off as well as I thought it would, and I know (this being the climax) that it should be super clear. 


EXHIBITION STRATEGY:
Although it is a somewhat crude stop-motion piece I think it has style and promise. Considering that...


1. MAKE A 30 SECOND PROMO TRAILER AND PUT IT ON YOUTUBE


This is pretty explanatory, pretty sure I can crank out some epic music and get it on youtube so people can see it. I think if I continue this project I may also change his facial expressions digitally, because that stuff was a pain in the neck analog.


2. CREATE A DIORAMA AND ENTER IT INTO AN EXHIBITION ALONGSIDE THE FILM


This seems like a pretty boss idea (Especially considering a lot of my sets have been preserved just in case. I remember seeing Meredith's in a Faculty show and thought it was genius- The only figuring I'd have to do is make sure it's on a pedestal that's at or near eye-level so people really get the impact. 


3. FESTIVALS
Denver Indie Fest
Colorado, U S A
Has an "experimental short film" category. 


Why I'm interested in this festival:
"DIFF allows filmmakers from around the globe to compete on a multi-cultural stage for nearly 100 awards and laurels in several different categories. DIFF caters to a vast clientele of independent film fans, distributors, artists, producers, entertainers and filmmakers." 


Animation Block Party
New York, U S A
Sounds good and competitive! Doesn't say what categories it has unfortunately.


Why I'm interested in this festival:
"Jake Friedman from Animation Magazine says "Animation Block Party stands out from other film or animation festivals in its empathy for the little guys. More films by independents and students are screened here than at your average festival."


Orgeon Independent Film Competition
Oregon, U S A
SHORT Film Submission - Student Films


Why I'm interested in this festival:
"The Oregon Independent Film Festival is a small festival run by local film lovers and an student volunteers with a passion for independent film, that has grown in reputation"

No comments:

Post a Comment